Re: gtoaster not working

Andy Green wrote:

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 16:16, Robin Laing wrote:

Alexandre Strube wrote:

I'm ok with security concerns, but claim security reasons for not
enabling cd-recording is too much for me. Can you imagine if the same
happened to floppies?

Actually I can.

Our local college is removing floppies from their computers and all
users must use USB sticks.

Can't make ANY sense of that... what is the security improvement from moving from floppy to USB removable storage? Speed (well, on read), storage density, reliability, sure... but security? They both contain filesystems that can contain anything.

I agree. I didn't make the decision. I think that it has more to do with sizes of files not fitting on floppies. I don't know if there are ways of increasing security of what a USB stick can do in Windows.

It may also be setup that all your files remain on your stick and thus if you trash the system, it is your files that are toast.

It is a pain as there was a mad rush for USB sticks leaving most local stores out of stock.

--
Robin Laing