Re: Windows key (Was Re: 2 newbie questions.)

David Jackson wrote:
My take on this issue is where and how can keyboards be configured for
the different types available.  Where would be a good site be to look
at these details.

Robin -- This goes back to my orginal post? You have to draw difference between "applicatons" (i.e. Apache, MySQL, KDE and Gnome) the and OS?

Or to put in more common term your house:

House = Linux OS
Water heater = GNOME/KDE

If you water heater stopped working, would you:
1. call the "builder"
2. look in the phone book for repair person who works on water heaters?
3. Get a do it youself book, and wing it( which is always a options w/
Open Source).

Note: Broke in this instance means not working as  you want it to.

When you post to a general Linux list.. your calling the builder(helpers).

David

But the builders usually have the blue prints and specifications as to who to contact (on a newer house) or tell you to look in the yellow pages.

The catch is there needs to be a decent set of yellow pages created that is normal everyday language. Something that a new user can look at and say, "That looks easy, I think I will try it". Not somehting that looks like it requires a degree in computer science to work with.

It is confusing when you are running a configuration script and a question appears but there is no documentation on what it means. I ran into this on the weekend and I found the answer today.

The yellow pages should be easily found on the default fedora site under the support section. Links to other sites would be very nice. Sometimes a new user doesn't know the correct word to do a search. Hey I have been using Linux since 1994 and I still have problems finding the correct answer.

These lists are a great way for new users to find answers though.

--
Robin Laing