Re: Mounting digital camera, /etc/fstab joke ?

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:03:45AM -0200, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> > You can add some lines to /etc/updfstab.conf
> > Have a  read of the man page for updfstab.conf
> > eg I have for memeory stick
> > device memstick {
> >    partition 1
> >    match hd "Key Drive"
> > }
> > The "Key Drive" is a string I see in dmesg after pushing the memory
> > stick in.
>
> One kind of device I cannot think why is not there is the simplest one:
> Usb Mass Storage. By preference in a way that this kind of device does
> not even need to be mounted manually - like a cd, for instance.
>
> The only thing is, I couldnt make it work with my usb mass storage
> camera, an olympus d390 (I think there's another model number in europe,
> something like 150).
>
> dmesg said me this:
> Jan 10 23:41:08 casa kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:10.0-1, assigned
> address 10
> Jan 10 23:41:11 casa usb.agent[454]: missing kernel or user mode driver
> usb-storage
> Jan 10 23:41:11 casa kernel: SCSI device sda: 32000 512-byte hdwr
> sectors (16 MB)
> Jan 10 23:41:11 casa kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
> Jan 10 23:41:11 casa kernel:  sda: sda1
> Jan 10 23:41:11 casa kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 374
> Jan 10 23:41:13 casa devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted
>

> What should I put on updfstab.conf? (not that this bother me personally
> - I put it to run in less than 30 seconds manually at the fist time)
>
> (...)
> > The user logged in at the console will then be able to mount with a simple
> > mount /mnt/memstick  Or from the gnome desktop as well.
>
> Perfect! Is there a way we can contribute by adding entries to this? I
> think this would GREATLY improve usability for non-geek users.
>
> Hum... a database for this like alsa does with soundboard...
> --
> []s
>
> Alexandre Ganso
> 500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group

This is the way I mounted on CompactFlash card in a USB reader:

I created a symlink from /dev/sda1 to /dev/flash.

I created the directory /mnt/flash.

I added the following to /etc/fstab:

/dev/flash              /mnt/flash              auto    defaults,owner        0 0

Then I modified /etc/security/console.perms (the line that has a minus
in front of it was changed to the line with a plus in front of it):

- <flash>=/mnt/flash*
+ <flash>=/mnt/flash* /dev/flash*

- <console>  0600 <flash>      0600 root
+ <console>  0600 <flash>      0600 root.disk

Modifying the second file gives the first person who logs into the
console ownership of the device. You have to log out and log back in
for it to take effect.

Then, if you are using GNOME, plug in your USB device with the card,
right-click on the desktop, and select Disks -> flash. This will mount
the device. I'm sure KDE probably has something similar. Or, you can
type the following command at a shell prompt:

mount /mnt/flash

I was able to configure devlabel to automount it, but the only problem
was that it ignored /etc/security/console.perms so it was mounted by
root, not by me. Thus, it was useless because I couldn't delete files
from it. I'm filing a bug on it.

HTH,
Tammy