re:List Problems

| From:
| Jess Anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxx>
| Date:
| Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:15:36 -0600
|
| To:
|

|This is *on*-topic. I ask your indulgence for what I hope is
|useful and not just more noise.
|
|Even for a true geek, the volume of this list is crushing.

~ I have switched to digest list, and even in *that* format the volume of this list is overwhelming. In Mozilla, I use the threaded view of messages, and I have also looked at gmane. However, no matter which of these options one chooses, there is no "happy medium".

This is the only newslist in which I participate, and even _then_ it's
far too much.

The problem with deleting messages by "thread" causes me to run the risk
of missing
something important, since many threads now seem to be hijacked, or
distorted from
the original topic, so on cannot even grasp the true content of the post(s).

I do not feel that I have that much to contribute to this list, since
most of the members
are far _more advanced in their linux skills_ than I. My promordial
reason is to _learn_
from these members, and _where I feel I may be of help_, to offer the
odd comment or
two.

Looking at gmane, for example, and I get the feeling: "why do I have to
do all sorts
of contortions just to read this list (viz. fedora-list)? "

Those of us who have had the temerity to POLITELY mention netiquette or even
(as I have) post a guide on the basics of _good Internet communications_
are either
flamed outright, or ... even worse ... accused of "policing the list".

In view of the fact that _*none* of the Red Hat employees here_ (AFAIK)
has made
any official pronouncements about the obstinacy of (a few?) some
posters, I am at
the point where I am thinking of un-subscribing from this list, period.

Of course, one can always visit the archives to get up-to-date with the
goings-on
here, but unless that visit is (at least) a *daily* one, there is the
risk that one may
miss an important announcement, such as a new or critical development in
the
Fedora community.

<*SIGH*>.

Anyway, I will now shut my big mouth and crawl back into my corner. Once
I have
made up my mind on leaving the list, I will announce it so that I may
bid farewell to
my many friends (and detractors) here.

respectfully,

Elton Woo.

- --
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.