Re: fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #734 - 23 msgs

Hi guys, This looks like a problem with user administration for group wheel .... indeed the sudoers file probably has a line uncommented that it shouldn't.. the man pages are indeed a good place to look but check the user group wheel settings.. If all else fails, for X sake put a passwd on your system and check again... On the other hand, if you are remotely loggin in to the system with SSH keys then it could simply be logical that you have enabled the authorized keys... disallow root logins via the sshd configuration... Message: 10 Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:23:09 -0600 From: Frank Turscak <ftokcfed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Blank password works for root Reply-To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx Bill Beeman wrote:

"Bevan C. Bennett" <bevan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Bill Beeman wrote:

I just discovered that I can log into my FC1 box as root with either the
root password, or by simply leaving the password blank!

Functions this way from a command line, or in a terminal within either
KDE or Gnome.

What exactly are you doing to 'log in'?
Is this with 'su' from an existing command line, from the system
console, or with a remote access program like ssh, telnet or rlogin?

If possible, see if the behavior is consistant between using su after
logging in as a non-root user, logging in on console, or connecting with
ssh?

The first place I'd look in this case is in /etc/pam.d/
See if there are any files named *.rpmnew and if so check out the
differences between them and the originals. Look especially to see if
anything has pam_rootok.so listed, and where.

This is consistent, whether from console, existing command line, or ssh from elsewhere, and works whether logging in as root, or by su from another user. In essence, no root security.

I've run chkrootkit-0.43, which comes up clean.

However, comparing /etc/pam.d/system-auth with system-auth.rpmnew, I noticed
the line

auth       sufficient     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so   likeauth nullok

in both. removing "likeauth nullok" seems to solve the problem, but leaves
the question of how it got that way.  System-auth notes that it will be
regenerated and user changes discarded when authconfig is run.  I'll play
with that a bit, but don't recall running that before. Anyone have any ideas
what may have generated this?

Bill

Run "man sudoers". Seems to me something in the file "/etc/sudoers" might have gone awry.

Frank