Re: computation-friendly kernels

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

When you say "largest", which parameter are you scaling?

Input cell size, which increases the number of threads and therefore RAM utilization.

> Are you using a significant fraction of RAM?

Very much so. We're pushing our RAM very hard, and considering installing even more.

> RHEL and Fedora have a completely different VM.

Ah, then the kernel differences are significant enough not to be easily enumerated or replaced. How do their VMs compare to 2.6?

Also, highmem support in FC1 may be broken.

That's not good, if it's true.

I'd suggest using Oprofile or readprofile to find where the kernel is spending
its time.

Thanks! I'll try that.