Package Management

In pre RH6.2 days there was (AFAIR) a short html doc on the RH docs CD containing a list of all packages installed for a particular 'module' of the install (ie 'X Window System', 'Gnome Desktop' 'Sound & Video') etc. Since I had trouble doing a full install of FC1 (way back in 2003 ;-0 ) I elected to do a rather barebones install, and simply add the bits I needed as and when; I already have a couple of RH7.2 boxen running nicely, and have done this in the past -- the beauty of RPM based distros.

Since I'm no fan of redhat-config-packages, and I prefer to do stuff with rpm from the commandline anyways, I've found a roundabout way of using config-packages to give me a list of 'to-install' packages, and then cut-n-paste into a script... rh-config-packages sorts out the dependencies, but I have other scripts that will do this... all I really want to have is the packages list of old. I installed the KDE 'bits' my way, now I need development packages on the system, and this will require a lot of time, just to get the list of pkgs installed under 'Development Tools' 'X Software Devel' etc.

Before anyone says, why don'tcha simply use rh-config-packages, I would, but it has a nasty habit of crashing, and I never trusted GUI installers since Windoze daze.

If these lists of pkgs are no longer up2date I would be happy to compile them; quite useful for upgrading a system.

--
Jamin - @Manchester UK | @Maastricht NL | @Tallinn EE