Re: ldap.conf: 'pam_groupdn' being completely ignored?

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. This is, essentially, what I'm trying to do. However, I'd rather do all the configuration in one place if I can.

My first choice is to do it using pam_groupdn, because then it's only one file that gets altered (/etc/ldap.conf). I don't really see a reason for it not to work, unless an RPM was goofed up or my config is wrong, which is hard to do being that it's ONE key/value pair.

My second option is to use 'compat' mode and reference a netgroup (stored in LDAP) in my passwd/shadow files. This doesn't seem to be as straightforward as I thought it might be. I can see the searches going by for the netgroup, but the filter isn't being 'OR'd with a uid of any kind.

Your idea is already on the list of stuff that I *can* do if I'm cornered, but this workaround doesn't address why the initial problem occurs. Option one was easy in RH 9, option 2 works in RH ES/AS/WS, option 3 will probably work, but this is horribly inconsistent and gives the appearance of flakiness. I was hoping not to have to tear open source rpms and code, but...

Thanks again,
brian.

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

Brian Jones wrote:

Hi,

Just looking for confirmation: Anyone using fedora core 1 with 'pam_groupdn' enabled in the ldap.conf file? I've used this before on RH 9 without a problem, but now I'm not even seeing any searches going to my LDAP server at all with regard to the value in pam_groupdn. It's as if the value is being completely ignored. No errors either.

No help with pam_groupdn, but if what you're trying to accomplish is, for example, to only allow administrative ssh access to a server, you might want to try something like the following instead:

Add the following line into /etc/pam.d/sshd
account    required     pam_access.so

(also into telnetd and any other services you want to restrict)

Add the following list to /etc/security/access.conf
-:ALL EXCEPT wheel itgroup:ALL

Where 'itgroup' is a POSIX group containing your allowed users, possibly stored in LDAP.

I dimly recall playing with pam_groupdn for awhile then abandoning those efforts in favor of this approach.