Re: Bind v. TinyDNS

I value those 4 Freedoms and all the pratical consequences they bring (those usually flaunted by others as the main thing), and DJB doesn't values his user's freedoms.

Just because it does not come with a license does not make any less so.

If it doesn't come with a license, then its even worse. According to
most copyright laws in the world no one but the author has an authorized
copy. Obviously, you missed something.

Rui

Heh. No I haven't.

I don't a license to own a book. Neither do I need a license to own a copy of a piece of software under any copyright law.

I see you don't like using software that does not give you explicit right to redistribute modified versions of it.

That's a rather rational strong feeling not to use tinydns over bind.

Forget about the security history and performance and ease of use of the software concerned. You are not allowed to redistribute modified versions (although you can redistribute the original in this particular case) and that's all you need to consider.

David Hart,

Here's is my strong feelings to use tinydns over bind.

The tinydns program has a small memory footprint, has no history of security holes whatsoever, is easy to configure and maintain, is fast and has the minor benefit of requiring no restart of the program when the dns configuration is updated.