Re: bug in rm???

Joolz wrote:

Just a moment ago something weird happened. I was cleaning up files
and noticed a very strange behaviour of the rm command. AFAIK Linux is
case-sensitive, so you van have three files TeST, test and TEST in one
directory. But I deleted more than I wanted to (no big deal, rm is the
issue)

So I tried this:

 #!/bin/bash
 touch TEST
 touch TeST
 touch test
 ls # all three are there
 rm te*
 ls # ALL THREE ARE GONE???

IMO this is _very_ dangerous behaviour, one would expect Linux command
to be compatible with the Linux filesystem (maybe rm is a port of del
:-\)

Is this a known issue? Right know I have only Fedora at hand, but I
wonder if other distro's have it too.

Ok, so you made me nervous. I tried it on several machines:

[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ touch TEST
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ touch TeST
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ touch test
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ ls
test  TeST  TEST
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ rm te*
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$ ls
TeST  TEST
[tcurrie@hamster tmp]$

...works fine on RedHat 9.0...

tcurrie@nakedpc:~/tmp$ touch test
tcurrie@nakedpc:~/tmp$ ls
TEST  TeST  test
tcurrie@nakedpc:~/tmp$ rm te*
tcurrie@nakedpc:~/tmp$ ls
TEST  TeST
tcurrie@nakedpc:~/tmp$

...Slackware 9.0 has no problem with it, and last but not least,

[tcurrie@localhost tmp]$ touch test
[tcurrie@localhost tmp]$ ls
test  TeST  TEST
[tcurrie@localhost tmp]$ rm te*
[tcurrie@localhost tmp]$ ls
TeST  TEST
[tcurrie@localhost tmp]$

...a fresh install of Fedora Core 1 has no problem with it. Are you sure you're not doing something strange here? What is the underlying filesystem (ext2, ext3, reiserfs)? How are you accessing this? NFS? Samba?

-Tim

--
Proprietary software is like petrified wood. It used to be alive, but
then it was fixed in time and put in a box. GNU/Linux software, in