check for new hardware...

I upgraded Redhat 9.0 to Fedora 1.0 and had major issues. I then performed
fresh install and had not so many issues, but still a few issues which had I
thought was a result of the upgrade. The greatest issue was with the
hardware checking during boot. It did absolutely nothing. It wouldn't detect
my external IEEE1394 (firewire) CDRW which RH 9 had no problem detecting at
all. And of course issues with installing rpms. Seems much software is not
yet ready for the newest kernel or the latest gcc/libstdc++, or the latest
SGI performer beta which works great with RH9 but will require installation
of different libstdc++ rpm/files, etc, etc. Anybody know how to force kudzu
to find an external cdrw? I'd appreciate it. Seems setting up the /etc/fstab
with same opeions as cdrom and creating a link from /dev/scd0 to /dev/cdrw
with cdrw set up in the /etc/fstab file isn;t good enough. Any ideas would
be greatly beneficial.

Thanks
Patrick