Re: installing Fedora test on a spare drive

On Sun October 5 2003 8:02 pm, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> Please write up the steps and post.

My goal was to try Fedora and not risk my existing OS installations (Red Hat 9
and Win 98SE) on my computer's primary hard drive (hda).  I also wanted to be
able to select Fedora from the grub screen.  A spare 3.2GB hard drive is hdb
on my computer and hdd is a drive used for mirroring.

1. I unplugged the signal cable to all hard drives except hdb.  The hdb drive
jumper was left as slave.

2. Booted up with Fedora CD 1.  At the Disk Druid step, I created smallish
boot (hdb1) and swap (hdb3) partitions and a large root (hdb2) partition.
The automatic partitioning left root too small and with 512 MB RAM I don't
ever need much swap space.  Using a single root partition optimizes the use
of slack space on this small drive.  Be sure to make a boot diskette for
insurance.

3. At this point, I booted Fedora from hdb with the other drives still
unplugged (the grub screen had a single entry).

4. Before plugging in the other drive(s), changes need to be made to
/etc/fstab on hbd since now both hda and hbd have partitions with identical
labels and hda will take priority during boot.  Edit /etc/fstab from a root
shell look for "LABEL" and change the LABEL nomenclature to something like
this:

/dev/hdb2               /                       ext3    defaults       1 1
/dev/hdb1               /boot               ext3    defaults       1 2
/dev/hdb3               swap              swap  defaults        0 0

5. Shut Fedora down and and replug the signal cables to the other hard
drive(s).

6.  Boot up into your normal Linux and open a root shell.

7.  Create a mount point (if needed) and mount /dev/hdb.

8.  The next step is to update /boot/grub/grub.conf on hda with a section from
the same file on hdb.  I opened two gedit sessions and used cut and paste and
then edited the section to this (on hda):

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2061.nptl)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl ro root=/dev/hdb2 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl.img

Note that "hd1" had to be changed from "hd0".  The "root=/dev/hdb2" had to be
changed from LABEL nomenclature.

9.  That should do it.  Shut down and reboot.  The line
     Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2061.nptl)
should be on your grub screen.