Re: Fedora and the System Administrator -- there are a lot of variables here ...

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 4:48 pm, William Hooper wrote:
> David Holden said:
> [snip]
>
> > When fedora is release will I beable to say to my boss, yes we can
> > install fedora version "x" and be able to rely on redhat providing
> > security updates
> > for the next 2-3 years for that version,
>
> Repeat after me, Fedora is not Red Hat.  If the Fedora Legacy project can
> get you 2-3 years then it will be the Fedora Legacy project doing it, not
> Red Hat.

I've no need to repeat this, I'm well aware of the difference thanks. The
above was making precisely the point that redhat won't be providing security
updates to Fedora.

> > or will have have to say to my
> > boss
> > if you want a stable OS for 2-3year you will have to cough up $345 for
> > system/per year.
>
> IIRC your $345 also gets you any new versions of RHEL that comes out.  I
> would also ask if you really need that many copies of ES or would WS do
> for most of it (I mean heck, it has Apache even).

This is a good and certainly $179 is better that $345

> You also have the choice of finding a third party to provide you support.
> I've seen on these lists a couple of places that are offering to support
> Valhalla after Red Hat EOLs it.

Yes this is back to my post about how competitive linux, re cost.

 Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>