Re: Fedora and the System Administrator -- there are a lot of variables here ...

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 4:05 pm, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Quoting David Holden <dh@xxxxxxxx>:
> > All of the above makes sense but leaves the question if redhat only
> > wants the niche market of higher margin enterprise customers what
> > fils the gap for the rest, currently its largely microsoft...
>
> Er, I have to disagree because I think you're making some assumptions that
> are incorrect.
>
> You see, Microsoft's "shrink wrapped" products _are_ (and _always_ have
> been) currently defnined by its enterprise customers, and large volume
> sales.  The fact that they also sell on the retail shelves is just to
> further that volume even more.  But the small volume consumers have
> _no_say_ in the product's design, simply because they are not worth
> Microsoft's bother from a financial perspective.
>
> Red Hat is basically moving to this same model with a twist.  Like
> Microsoft, it let's its "shrink wrapped" products be defined by its
> enterprise customers, because it's not worth it to spend money to
> accomodate the small guy.  But unlike Microsoft, they give the community
> basically everything in their "shrink wrapped" products.  That way the
> smaller volume community has a way to define its products into what _they_
> want as well.
>
> I think Red Hat has got the "best of both worlds" down from a business and
> consumer standpoint.

I agree about letting the "shrink wrapped" product be defined by the
enterprise customer, but it seems to me that Redhat will not have a "skrink
wrapped product" for the small business because they are not going to provide
a "stable" low priced product with security updates for the small business.

When fedora is release will I beable to say to my boss, yes we can install
fedora version "x" and be able to rely on redhat providing security updates
for the next 2-3 years for that version, or will have have to say to my boss
if you want a stable OS for 2-3year you will have to cough up $345 for
system/per year.

As far as I know for version of Microsoft OS's your guaranteed >3 years use of
that OS and security updates are *free*.

(Yes I know microsoft and security are words that really don't mix :))

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>