Re: can't update mozilla with up2date

Ken Chamberlain wrote:
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:32, Ben Stringer wrote:

Galeon is a light-weight Gnome browser based on mozilla's rendering
engine. You would be safe to remove it. Galeon was replaced by

Epiphany

in Fedora Core 1.

See the FC1 release notes for details -

/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-1

Cheers, Ben

OK, thanks all. I'll se what the release notes have to say on this and
give removing Galeon a whirl as I don't use it.
I guess I have it installed because my FC1 install is really an upgrade
install from RH9 which I presume had Galeon. Can I expect to see more hitches like this due to the upgrade rather than clean install?

Kind regards,

Mike

Yes... "up2date --show-orphans" should show you any upgrade leftovers
(as well as non-FC1 extras).

Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto

Thanks all,

The rpm -e for galeon then allowed up2date to pull down all the updates just fine.

I then ran the show-orphans and it lists a whole bunch of packages. Other than a couple of things that I've installed later (wine and j2kre 1.4) are all these things just taking up disk space? If I remove them as well (rpm -e) will it cause me any problems? That is, my FC1 install is an upgrade from RH9, so I am presuming that these "extra" things are left-overs from RH9 that are no longer required for FC1 and could be removed. The list of packages follows for those interested...

  --show-orphans
              List all packages currently installed that are not
              present in channels the server is subscribed to.

$ up2date --show-orphans
aspell-en-ca-0.33.7.1-21.i386
aspell-en-gb-0.33.7.1-21.i386
dev86-0.16.3-8.i386
exmh-2.5-8.noarch
ez-ipupdate-3.0.11b7-1.i386
glut-3.7-12.i386
glut-devel-3.7-12.i386
hanterm-xf-2.0.5-5.i386
j2re-1.4.1_05-fcs.i586
jdkgcj-0.2.3-5.i386
kde2-compat-2.2.2-9.i386
libgal21-0.23-1.i386
librsvg-1.0.2-8.i386
librsvg-devel-1.0.2-8.i386
libunicode-0.4-12.i386
libunicode-devel-0.4-12.i386
perl-CGI-2.81-88.3.i386
perl-CPAN-1.61-88.3.i386
perl-DB_File-1.804-88.3.i386
pine-4.44-19.90.0.i386
postgresql72-libs-1-3.i386
pxe-0.1-36.i386
qt2-2.3.1-13.i386
qt2-Xt-2.3.1-13.i386
qt2-designer-2.3.1-13.i386
qt2-devel-2.3.1-13.i386
qt2-static-2.3.1-13.i386
qtcups-2.0-15.i386
qtcups-devel-2.0-15.i386
redhat-switch-printer-0.5.16-1.noarch
redhat-switch-printer-gnome-0.5.16-1.noarch
soup-0.7.10-4.i386
soup-devel-0.7.10-4.i386
tripwire-2.3.1-17.i386
vnc-doc-3.3.3r2-47.i386