Re: [Fwd: Re: apt-get, rpm y yum]

Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:47:36PM +0300, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:

I often heard word "smart" about up2date. The example from reality: In RH9 up2date downloaded new packages and offer KDE user to update system. User answers - yes. After update system can't work and can't boot. I don't know exactly what happened, but up2date tried to update glibc and hanged on this - and this is normal because libc is used everywhere. Why up2date is "smart" if it is so stupid to update glibc while KDE and a lot of other applications are running?

Live update of glibc are possible and work even if the library is in use. Qualifying the program as "stupid" because it failed in your specific case just show you don't understand what going on. I think millions of glibc live update have been done via RPM be it though up2date or others update mechanism. If the RPM transaction fails, that's bad, that probably not directly related to rpm itself or the fact that it was a glibc update. But since there is aboslutely no informations in your report which may help explain or reproduce the problem, I think no further work can be done about your problem.

Daniel

Sorry for "stupid" :-)
I don't know exactly how to reproduce error - I didn't see it. I just know that:
1. There was clean RH9 and no updates was done.
2. Week ago user accepted RHN's offer for update.
3. When up2dare installed glibc it buzzed (progress bar was stopped, no hdd rustle).
4. User killed up2date window.
5. Some applications didn't work.
6. He rebooted.
7. System didn't boot anymore.
He did something and repaired his system somehow...

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,