Re: ATI Radeon 9200 -- should I install ATI driver?

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 13:34, Fotios Nastos wrote:
> > So far my Fedora Core 1 installation is working flawlessly.  My smoothest
> > Linux ride yet.  Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to bother installing
> > the proprietary ATI drivers from www.ati.com.  I have an ATI Radeon 9200.
> > Are there any risks with installing the proprietary driver, and removing the
> > default Mesa files?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Are the binary only drivers faster or have some other benefit?
> Otherwise I wouldn't risk it due to the common stability problems and
> your inability to report bugs to Fedora.  You need to go to ATI for
> support if you use their closed drivers.

For some cards there's no support in XFree86 at all and others like my
Radeon 9100, while supported in XFree86 some operations fall back to
software implementation where the binary drivers do that in hardware,
resulting in HUGE performance difference for some software. Eg TORCS runs
with perfectly decent speed with the XFree86 driver but FlightGear crawls
at ~2fps making it painfully reminiscent of Flight Simulator II on
Commodore 64 in terms of playability :-/ With the binary driver FG just ..
humm, flies :)

	- Panu -