Re: Grub + WinXP

Am Fr, den 21.11.2003 schrieb David Limon Romero um 00:42:
> I tried both ways and still doesn't work, it shows:
> "Unrecognized device string"

First, there was a typo in my previous posting. You must edit the file
  /boot/grub/grub.conf
and there is a link to it from
  /etc/grub.conf

But I suppose you found the correct file.

> I tried to install grub on the mbr of the 2nd drive and doesn't works.
>
> what's wrong?

Problem is, that Windows can not boot from another drive then the first
(at least this is true for version up to Winn 2000) So, normally you
should install Win on the first drive, first partition (for some Win
versions even the second partition of the first drive didn't work). I
suppose you have installed a second HD, because there is no way to
install a windows onto a second HD.

Solution is: you must swap the HD in some way. If grub can't, you may
use lilo. Or you should search your bios for a way to swap the order of
the HDs. If nothing works, you you change the HD physically. You can use
the win bootloader to boot linux or you can install grub on the first HD
which will start win or linux.

Peter