Re: automatic root login, gdm

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 17:03, Lewi wrote:
> how do I allow root login automatic from gdm,
> because I think in office that I installed fedora will be more easily,
> than type root password when getting some system configuration(like add printer or something else)

As per Lamont's mail, this is a bad idea as you can no longer limit what
gets changed on the systems you support.

If you decide to proceed regardless, look at putting the
"redhat-config-*" utilities under sudo, so normal users can run them. At
least then you can configure sudo to log the usage of these commands.
This is not so bad as opening up root to everyone.

> I try in gdm-config, that automatic login only allow uid > 500 ?

You _definately_ don't want to remove the root password or allow
automatic root login.

Cheers, Ben