Re: USB Pen Drive?

Bryan Anderson wrote:

I have a PQI Travelling Disk 2 (256MB, USB2) pen drive that *says* it's Linux compatible. If I plug it in, the /mnt/flash is created, /etc/fstab
gets an additional line:

/dev/sda1     /mnt/flash    auto    noauto,owner,kudzu        0 0

but trying to mount /mnt/flash gives me an error:

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

if I change the /etc/fstab line to include vfat instead of auto (the pen drive is formatted with Windows XP), then I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

I imagine that it's a simple configuration problem with the fstab line, but have no clue about where to start on a solution.

Any help would be great - you guys are much, much more helpful than anyone on usenet!

You need to create filesystems on the pen drive. Do an "fdisk -l /dev/sda". See if you get a "/dev/sda1" or something like it. If you don't, you need to partition the drive and make a filesystem on it using fdisk and "mkfs -t ext3" or "mkfs -t vfat" (for a DOS-compatible filesystem).

If you do get a partition, see what the filesystem type is and specify
that using the "-t" option of mount:

     mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

(that assumes a vfat filesystem).
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -