Re: How can I keep ARTS from starting?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:14:11 -0800
John Wendel <jwendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 12:50 pm, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone :)
> >    Anothe scenario: I chose to not start ARTS up when I log into
> > KDE. And I also chose to not have any system sounds.  Yet, when I
> > reboot or log-in, the sounds are back.  If I kill ARTS, it starts
> > right back up, and I'm back to square one :(
> >    Any ideas about how to have the ARTS rpm's installed, but
> > guarantee that it will never actually start up?
> >    Your help is greatly appreciated :)
> >
> > Steven P. Ulrick
>

> Did you try the following
>
> su
> cd /usr/bin
> chmod 444 arts*
>
> Guaranteed to keep aRts from running. I don't know what else it will
> break <grin>.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hello, John :)
   A sublimely simple solution, one that I hadn't thought of, but one
that I'm sure will come in handy in the future :)
   Not only has Juk not complained about aRts being chmod 444'd, but
after I restarted Juk to see if it still worked, I started up XMMS and
everything works perfectly.  Now I can listen to music while I'm tagging
mp3's :)

Thanks again :)
Steven P. Ulrick