Re: RHN notification icon

Tyler Lane wrote:

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:23, Thomas DuVally wrote:

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 13:51, Marc Williams wrote:

I noticed a couple hours ago that there were some new files (Mozilla) in
the fedora upgrade directories. Indeed, I received a notice of these
new files from the Fedora Announce list. But rather than just plowing
ahead with an upgrade of these Mozilla files, I thought I'd wait until
my Notification icon turned into a red bang. Does anyone have any idea about how long that takes? Is that period of
time configurable?

/etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd

This controls how often rhn-check runs.

The default time period is 240 min (2 hours)

Wouldn't that be 4 hrs? ;)

I set mine to 30. I know that under the actual red-hat network it can't
be set below 120. It would default to 240 if it was, but since up2date
is checking against yum, I'm hoping that is no longer the case.

I would be curious to know what advantage that you think you are gaining by checking very frequently? Do you really need to be updating your system that often or is it a test system that you don't use for anything else?

Personally I always view _any_ change to a _working_ system to be a risk in that it may not work after. Checking for updates more than once a day is (to me) an extravagance

That said, I think it would be a convenience to be able to tag some packages as auto-download (not auto-install though) for cases when one has specific interest in updates to them. The earlier comment about (maybe another thread?) about having some bittorrent kind of capability integrated with the Red Hat update tool would also be slick.

Mike