From: "Preston Crawford" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Fedora List" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Modems? Anyone?

> >     So I take it you made no progress and/or didn't get my message
> > before you went home- sorry about that.
>
> I didn't get your message, no. Did you email me?
>
> And no. I didn't make any progress.
>
> First, Comcast told me they'd create the account manually since they'd
screwed up and cancelled the account. Then I was told that they couldn't do
that and I'd have to register. So we brought my wife's work laptop home and
tried to register and the registration server was down. I called Tech
support again. They said the registration server wasn't down and that it
must be my modem. I said "whatever" and gave up. Woke up this morning and my
modem had quit working period. Blinking lights. Then it started working
again. I tried to register through Linux (since my wife was at work) and
suddenly found a set of settings that worked. I got to the registration page
*somehow* and found the registration server was still down. Called tech
support again. Tech support confirms the registration server is down (weird,
the last guy said it WASN'T down). He starts a ticket to get my account
created manually (hey, I thought they couldn't do that - what a horrible
company - great communication)!
> . Great. Suddenly the modem stops working again.
>
> Needless to say my wife and I are getting the ball rolling on leaving
Comcast for all of our services. That's started today. I need a modem to
bridge the gap.

> I know about the pros of serial external modems, I just need to make sure
they'll work under Fedora. I found a Creative Modem Blaster for $60 at
Office Depot. They say it's serial. Do you know if it's any good? Anyone?
The standard, as far as I know, is USR. But I'm not sure if they have an
external USR that does serial and not USB.