Re: Make RPM

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 16:42, David C. Hart wrote:
> Keith G. Robertson-Turner made this suggestion the other day - something
> I was completely unaware of - and it's really a great idea. Thank you
> very much.
>
> That having been said, I have a couple of questions. This is something
> that is inconsistently documented. The more I Google - the more confused
> I get.
>
> 1. The process seems to make both the source and installation RPMs. Is
> there any way to make an installation version only?

It is possible with checkinstall or whatever the package name was, but I
personaly think it's bad idea using it... I prefer downloading source rpm
and then compile it - if something goes wrong I can always check how the
package is compiled and what has changed.

> 2. If I install the RPM it's not updating grub.conf like "make install."
> How can I fix this so that the customized kernel rpm behaves like what
> one gets from RH?

  Get the one from redhat (kernel-*.src.rpm), install it (rpm -ihv kern...src.rpm)
and you will have all the sources/patches in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and the
.spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS. You might want to read 'Maximum RPM' for
details how to build rpms. Building new kernel is not a trivial task at all,
probably you should first try something easier first... (I managed to include
mppe in RedHat 9's kernel this way)

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev