Re: Wavs play, MP3s don't

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 02:24, Brian Connolly wrote:
> Okay,
>
> We've got it working under root but not user.  What am I doing wrong?

    That kinda problem almost always means the perms on the files are
wrong.

    Just for background, let me tell ya how I do mine:

    find /shares/ogg -type d -exec chmod a+rx {} \;
    find /shares/ogg -type f -exec chmod a=r  {} \;
    find /shares/ogg -chown nonroot.nonroot {} \;

    The first commmand goes through my ogg collection making the
directories readable and descendable by all.  The second one changes the
actual music files ONLY readable. (If you share this with a windows
machine, their viruses won't be able to wipe out your collection!)

    The third line makes the owner/group of those files something you
can get along with.  Maybe "bin" is a good choice, but anything non-root
is ok, 'cause we're setting the permissions to a=r(ead).

    I put the three commands into a file called /usr/local/bin/mp3adjust
and after I rip a new cd and put it in the tree, I run it.  It makes
things nice.

    Now...if you can run oggs and you can't run mp3s, it MIGHT be that
you don't have xmms-mp3 installed. (It no longer comes with that, from a
fresh install...laywer problems.)

    Good luck!

Brian FahrlÃnder                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262