Mounting SMB shares on apple machine

Hi everybody.

I am trying to mount a SMB share on a Mac machine with /etc/fstab. I got
almost everything to work properly. With:

//mac_serv/share  /mnt/macserver   smbfs
noauto,user,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/myself/.smbpasswd 0 0

all in a line in fstab i can mount the share and i have write
permissions also as non root user (thanks to all previous posts! :) )

However, i cannot, not even as root, browse or write the root dir of the
share! Whenever i try to do a ls i get:

[user@localhost macserver]# ls
ls: .: No such file or directory

I can only chdir into my own dir (i.e. //mac_serv/share/Myshare), and
after that everything works pretty well. But i can't even see what my
dir name looks like, i must know it by heart.

Clearly the problem is that such share is running on a old Mac machine
(earlier than Mac OS X). Has anybody had similar problems? Any idea?

It would be indeed useful to browse the share root dir (i.e.
//mac_serv/share). I doesn't seem to be a problem of local mac
configuration, as i have enough privileges on that machine to browse all
the share.

Thanks a lot

E.