Re: dial up on laptop stalling out

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:29:41 -0500
"James Dishaw" <DishawJP@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know if this will answer your question, but I had a similar
> oddness when setting up my FC1 install.  I generally set up an alias in
> my .bashrc as connect='/sbin/ifup ppp0' to connect to my ISP with my
> modem.  This didn't work with FC1 and returned an error about "ppp0
> device not found' or something similar.

> The work-around I used was to "cd /ect/sysconfig/network-scripts"
> directory and then "cp ifcfg-myISPname ppp0" where "myISPname" was the
> name of my ISP.  I've done a fair number of RH installs and never had
> this happen before, but this change enables me to make my connection by
> typing "connect" (without the quotes) from the command line as I have
> always done and can do so from the console without having to boot to the
> GUI.

I noticed this as well.  A simpler workaround would be to just run

/sbin/ifup myISPname

from the console.  It's actually not that bad of a behavior, because I
have a couple of modem configurations I use depending on where I am, and
it's easier to remember the ISP name than which ppp device it might be...
:)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/