Re: OT: Intel MB/CPU Upgrades

Mike Chambers wrote:

 They basically told me I'd probably have to get a new
case as well, due to either the MB not fitting or power supply not
fitting in my present case, or something along those lines.

It's an issue with the wiring on the power supply. Your P3 probably runs on an old style ATX. It has a number of power leads for drives and one lead for the motherboard ending in a double row connector.

P4s require this double row connector plus another power cable ending in a 2x2 connector plus another that looks like one of the old AT connectors. YMMV on neeeing one, the other or both, but you will need at least one.

In my experience, replacing the case is about as expensive as just the power supply. You also may need to beef up the power supply to handle a higher power load - P4s are pretty hungly. Personally, I'd go with a new case.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899