Re: Specific Fedora kernel

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:18:56PM -0500, David C. Hart wrote:

 > On every machine (I've tried it on three) I get an "active_load_balance"
 > error in sched. It sometimes goes away if you do "make bzImage" again.

make oldconfig twice usually fixes it too. Its a quirk of the 2.4 build
config system. I'll look into fixing it for an update kernel, but it may
require quite a bit of surgery.

 > As I recall, the floppy module cannot be compiled as a module

I beg to differ 8-)

(18:00:04:davej@delerium:davej)$ ls -l /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root        73876 Oct 29 20:53 /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o*

 > number of others (I think parport). Plus I get a ton of "the author of
 > this code needs to read up on list entry" - TONS! That does not leave me
 > with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

These appear as part of a mini-audit done in the -ac patch we include.
Various warnings were added to the source tree. I'll turn these off
in an update kernel, as it's unlikely we'll have time to fix them in 2.4.

 > I also seem to recall some code dependent upon EISA.

I know not of any problems in this regard. If you find problems,
please bugzilla them.  I'm currently a bit backlogged wrt bugzilla
(plus I'm still picking up lots of the RHL9 reports) so it may take
me a while to get around to it, but I'll get there..

 > I'll try again and be more definitive. I have never had a
 > problem with KORG 2.4.22.

Such is life when you ship a heavily patched kernel. One of the things
we're going to try and do for FC2 is keep the kernel as close to mainline
as possible. So far, the only real big change is the addition of exec-shield.

		Dave