Re: Minimal installation

Gene C. wrote:

On Saturday 08 November 2003 18:03, Jaroslaw Kowalski wrote:

Hi all!

I'm planning to install a minimal version of fedora and then manually
(perhaps using apt to handle dependencies) remove some packages that I
don't need. The key here is the disk usage.

I want my install to be as small as:

kernel
glibc
basic file utilities (ls, cat)
rpm + apt

Of course I would need all rpms that are dependent on these + anything
required for fedora to work.

My question is: has anyone tried it? How low can you go in terms of disk
space used?

The RELEASE-NOTES says that a Minimal install requires 520MB of disk space ... do not believe it. While this may be to amount used once the install is complete, the actual install requires somewhere between 600MB and 650MB. You might be able to reduce this with some playing with kickstart.

Dependencies pull in lots of stuff which is not really needed. I have seen some X packages and even devel packages get pulled in because of errors in dependencies (Requires).

Wouldn't something like Trustix (min 70-90MB) be the solution to a small installation??

I don't think RH or FC were really designed to be minimaly installed distros.. Especially now that you can't customise the package installation.. :(

Just a thought.. :)

Later..