Re: Firstboot seems to hang

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 03:44:57PM -0500, Chris Heisel wrote:

> But, I'm trying to change that with an installation of Fedora Core 1 on
> my Dell P4 system in a dual-boot environment...
>
> Anyway, the problem I'm having is that once the installer gets to the
> graphical first-time configuration screen (Welcome screen), it freezes
> and no keyboard commands work.

> I tried going through the interactive mode, saying 'y' to everything.
>
> When I say 'y' to enable firstboot that's when it hangs -- no keyboard
> or mouse recognition.

> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

Sounds like your X configuration is wrong.  Boot into single user mode
and edit /etc/X11/XF86config to make a working X subsystem.  The
installer uses a generic config that tends to work everywhere, but
firstboot uses the generated config and it may fail if your selections
during install were wrong.

On an old Dell Latitude I had to select a "vesa" driver for the X config
since the Neomagic driver seems to have some problems with bad
pixelation when trying to fit the smaller screen size onto a 1024x768
LCD display.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U     RHCT August 2003