Re: No Full Control Install!

Ben Russo wrote:
Homer Parker wrote:

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:00, Doug Stewart wrote:

must not have been paying attention to the fedora-test-list.

The thinking goes (and someone from RH correct me if I'm wrong) is that
anaconda is the wrong place to be doing package selection. Eventually,
FC should just get enough of a system up and running for the users to be
able to select/install packages from a nice, X-enabled FirstBoot situation.

But what if you're *not* installing X?

You can still use YUM. And it is much more flexible with a full BASH shell and Unix shell utilities
than the curses based menu system.
Also, I'm surprised no one has brought it up, but you could always make a kickstart file
to install your system however you want. You can even add POST-INSTALL scripts to your
kickstart system to further configure and tune and tweak your system in ways that you want.

In my opinion, the simpler the bootable install is, the better.

*IF they do decide to make the installer more powerfully, I hope it is with a 'hidden' option,
that is not displayed on the screen. (some boot-up option like "Linux expert" )

-Ben.

If you do a server install. You get to select program groups from the package selection. It is preferable to me to do server installs.

It seems pretty close to the old way of being able to choose programs for the regular install.

Jim

--
Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.