Re: GDM session switching

Gerry Tool wrote:
On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 15:16, Richard E Miles wrote:

While trying to switch sessions on a temporary basis from kde to gnome the session remained kde. A warning to use the desktop switcher was indicated to make this permanent. Has anayone else noticed this behavior?

I believe you are seeing the intended behavior. The current situation allows you to on-demand log into the GUI you don't normally use, but retains your normal GUI as the default if you don't explicitly select one until you change that default by using desktop switcher while logged in. The next login then is to your new default. I wodnered about it at first, but now like it in case I don't remember that my last login wasn't to my normal environment.

At first I thought this was a bug, but now I think you're right, it's intentional. Though I haven't come to like it as you have. Why make things more complicated than necessary? Not to mention that, at least in KDE, the desktop switching tool is buried in System Settings -> More System Setings -> Desktop Swithing Tool. Hardly intuitive.

Didn't RedHat distributions prompt you to make the current selection the default when you changed it from gdm? That seems like a more intuitive way to me.

Peter