Re: Freshrpms.net concerns.

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Jonathan C. Sitte wrote:

> Is freshrpms.net working with Fedora or just creating rpms without even
> thinking about what we have all been talking about?

Just creating RPMS i think, but check out rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, they
should know better.

> I am concerned because it seems like everyone is using it anyways...

Yep. :-)

> It is interesting how things are developing here. I am being very
> careful not to just start loading Fedora with 3rd Party rpms until I
> know that they are safe to use.

FreshRPMS are *very* safe to use. I've used it since RHL 7.3 and don't
remember *ANY* problems with broken packages or server down etc. I only
remember that when maintainer (Mathias) goes to holiday there are no new
packages. :-(

> I HIGHLY recomend that http://fedora.redhat.com/ posts a section for
> TRUSTED rpm repositories or the repositories themself have a specific
> icon that says Fedora Safe or something of that matter. They can all
> use the same icon or banner... It would be nice... Just an idea ;)

Packages are usualy signed... I don't think if this (FreshRPMS) can be
merged into Fedora, due to funny things like not including mp3 support
but still everybody need it and still everybody uses it and if somebody
ask's "What about MP3 for Fedora?" everybody will answer - go apt them
from freshrpms.net - that's it. US patent law sux.

--