Re: FC on old PC

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Martin Marques wrote:

El Sáb 08 Nov 2003 10:39, Dag Wieers escribió:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Martin Marques wrote:
> > Is it posible to get FC1 to install on a PC with a 486 processor and 8MB
> > of RAM?
> >
> > I still have one of those running. :-)
>
> Often, the easiest way to install it on older hardware, is to remove the
> hardddisk and connect it to a faster machine and do the installation
> there.
>
> Later you can simply upgrade using apt or yum.
>
> PS I have a 386sx12Mhz with 4MB RAM running RH62 on a 80MB HD as a simple
> firewall. I can't upgrade because of the disk and the BIOS ;))

Well, here we have lots of people that read there mail with pine, so we use these old PC as text terminals with NIS and NFS, so they can read there mail.

con: as they are old PC with little memory, some of our nasty users have problems with their very HEAVY mailboxs (spank them!).

Doing the installation on a newer faster machine and putting the harddisk back in the old machine to finetune for specific hardware works very well. You can then use apt or yum to upgrade to newer releases.

I had a 486dx2 as a firewall at home, and it used to be a RH52. It has always been upgraded with first the Red Hat installer and later with autoupdate and apt. The system has now been retired, but it ran RH9 with apt a few months ago without a hitch. (Slow of course)

--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --