Re: Yet another BitTorrent Thread

At 11:39 11/7/2003, you wrote:
I've left my bt client running and it has shown around 25KB/s since
last night.

How do you decide when to shut off your client? Wait for the transfer
rate to drop? Need more of your DSL line back?

Personally, I find that leaving a BT client running is one of the ways I can contribute to the community and help my "friends" have a better experience with RH/F products. I have only a 128 Kbps line, but it's going to continue providing the 5 KBps I can dish out for at least the next month.

I do, however, shut off the client every so often if I need to send a very large email or do an outgoing FTP transfer, so it doesn't compete with me. Then I start it up again.

I would recommend that those people who are not using much of their outbound bandwidth (and having previously worked for an ISP, I can tell you that this includes most of us) leave a BT client running for much longer than "a couple of days." Just leave it on... then if you find it's bugging you or you need your bandwidth back, kill it if/when necessary.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx