Re: Upgrade RHL8 to Fedora Core 1?

James Dishaw wrote:
Hi All,

I've been following this list for quite some time via the archives, but
just signed up today.

First of all, I'd like to commend Red Hat for all of its efforts in
supporting us Linux users through the Fedora project and encouraging our
input in the process.  I, like many others, was originally a bit
disconcerted by Red Hat's original announcement of the abandonment of
RHL and boxed sets.  I purchased and *LOVE* RH8 and RH9 but am now
looking forward to receiving and installing the Fedora Core 1 CD's I
ordered this morning (my 56k dialup connection makes downloading ISO's
impractical at best).  Thank you Red Hat for your continuing support of
open source software and users like me for whom your Enterprise line is
not a good match.

My intent is/was to install Fedora over an existing RH8 install... if
this is advisable, once the CD's arrive. Is this wise, or should I just
do a "clean install" over my RH8 partitions. My hope is to maintain my
various settings and preferences, and to keep a fully functional RH9
install in the event the Fedora installation is less than perfect.

I've seen lots of discussion of various methods of ugrading RH9 to
Fedora, but none on upgrading RH8 to Fedora.

FWIW, I just installed FC1 over a RHL7.2 system (upgrade) and it went just fine.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe