Re: No Full Control Install!

On Friday 07 November 2003 14:09, Glenn English wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:37, David C. Hart wrote:
> > Moreover, then the description of the
> > "Custom" option is inaccurate. Given the presumed
> > constituency of Fedora users, I cannot understand why there is no way to
> > exact full control over the installation.
>
> Here, here!
>
> And "individual package" would have no effect on the ability to add pkgs
> later.
>
> I'd also like to see the return of the option to check the X
> configuration. Never could get 9's X to work on my laptop.
>
> All knowing software is very often a GoodThing, but there are times when
> it's necessary to over-ride its decisions.

OK, this was discussed extensively during the test (formally beta) period and
there might even be a bugzilla report or two.

1.  Red Hat (and fedora core) is moving to simplify the installation.  Where
it can be done, optional stuff is moved from the installer to post install
(and perhaps firstboot).  In the case of selecting individual packages, this
was removed from the install with the intent to use redhat-config-packages to
provide the functionality.

2.  Early versions of FC-1 test had this new installer.  However, bugs were
found which could not be resolved before the target release time and an older
version of redhat-config-packages was included in the release of FC-1.

3.  Hopefully, this may be resolved by an errata or by FC-2.

If you believe this is important, check bugzilla and (if an RFE does not
already exist), do an RFE [request for enhancement].  This may prompt the
package developer/maintainer to issue an errata sooner rather than later.

At this point, asking for an RFE to add the functionality back into the
installer is a waste of time because it has been decided to eliminate it from
the installer.
--
Gene