Re: No Full Control Install!

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:24, Gerry Tool wrote:
> > If I go the Upgrade route, I have no control over what is upgraded. It's
> > all or none. Moreover, there is no apparent means of installing new
> > packages.
>
> AFTER install, use System Settings > Add/Remove Applications to make any
> changes you wish.

But that might overwrite things that I don't want upgraded.

> WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE INDIVIDUAL PACKAGE LIST?
>
> This was discussed ad nauseum in the lists and the decision was made to
> simplify the install and leave more refined choices to later.  This
> seemed to satisfy most participants.  You are an example that not all
> people can be pleased by choices that are made.

I don't recall that at all. Moreover, then the description of the
"Custom" option is inaccurate. I also suspect that this will create
problems for people who have Gnome installed. Given the presumed
constituency of Fedora users, I cannot understand why there is no way to
exact full control over the installation. What was the downside of
maintaining the "individual package" option?