No Full Control Install!

I'm glad that I tried this on a client first.

If I go the Upgrade route, I have no control over what is upgraded. It's
all or none. Moreover, there is no apparent means of installing new
packages.

If I go the install route (without format) and then choose "Custom" it
does not give me the ability to completely control what is installed.
Furthermore, the individual packages option no longer exists. Custom
simply present the packages with fewer things checked. WHATEVER HAPPENED
TO THE INDIVIDUAL PACKAGE LIST?

This is very disappointing unless I have missed something.