Re: Another Nvidia problem

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:45, Michael Anthony Porter wrote:
> > none of the OpenGL screensavers work.  All fail with the error "Xlib: extension
> > XFree86-DRI missing on display :0.0" (to be clear, this error occurred with the Nvidia-installed
> > drivers as well as with the rpms).  Nvidia explicitly states that dri should *not*
> > be loaded in XF86config and I did not do so for RH 9.0.  Everything
> > worked fine under RH 9.0.  What has changed?
>
> That's a common problem.  Have you tried doing "rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42"?  The NVIDIA libGL.so files conflict with the default XFree86 ones, and if that RPM is installed, the default files are found instead of the NVidia provided ones.

Since two people recommended it, I removed this rpm and reinstalled the
kernel-module and nvidia-glx rpms.  After restarting X, when I tried my
OpenGL screensavers (preview mode), instead of a black screen I got "No
Preview Available."  So I removed Mesa-GLUT as well, reinstalled the
Nvidia rpms again, and restarted X, all of which made things even worse
because now I get "libglu.so not found."

I can of course reinstall Mesa-GLUT, but something else is wrong with my
configuration.  Any suggestions?