Re: MySQL 4 or Higher

> On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 15:44, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> > the existing license.  Attempting to contact everyone who has
> > contributed to a popular project like PHP is likely impossible, and
at
> > least one is unlikely to be willing to accept a different license.
>
> PHP has changed it's licens quite a few times, even to the point of
one
> of its version not being a Free Software license. That's in the past
> (but not too distant) fortunately. So I guess it is feasible.
>
> > >Why do you insist that it is a MySQL licensing problem? I suspect
it is
> > >more a problem of someone being lazy. PHP's faq says:
> >
> > It is a MySQL licensing problem because MySQL changed the license.
> > They had to know this would cause a problem because they went to a
> > more restrictive license (LGPL -> GPL).
> >
> > Presumably this was done to force more people/companies to pay for
the
> > commercial version of MySQL instead of using the free version, but
the
> > net result is that a lot of free software projects can no longer use
> > MySQL.
>
> Wrong in various accounts:
>
>   a) The "Proprietary" license of MySQL, since Free Software is
> commercial and even RedHat has distributed MySQL in its commercial
> context (I bought a few CD's, and they came with MySQL).
>
>   b) To force more people using the Free Software DB to make non-Free
> software into paying instead of sucking on their efforts
>
>   c) only Free Software that is licensed with a GPL incompatible
license
> or that depends on such software has problems with it. Free Software
> licensed with the GPL or Lesser GPL are a clearly huge amount of
> programs.
>
> > >I particularly like the part:
> > >
> > ><<Unix users, at least the ones who know what they are doing, tend
> > >always build PHP against their system's libmyqlclient library
simply by
> > >doing --with-mysql=/usr when building PHP.>>
> >
> > Yes, in the past with MySQL 3.
>
> No, still today. However, they might have to make some changes
> themselves, like applying patches not distributed or supported by the
> PHP guys.
>
> > However the ones who *really* pay attention won't do it with MySQL 4
> > because it violates the MySQL license.
>
> Not exactly. The GPL only adds restrictions upon distribution acts.
The
> software that depends on PHP does not link with it. What links with
> mysql and is being distributed is PHP, and here is the problem.
>
> On a personal note, software that doesn't use standard SQL deserves
the
> troubles it's going through right now :)
>
> Rui

Okay, I'm simple minded enough to be confused. I just read the MySQL
statement about their version being under the GPL. I just read the PHP
license that comes with the most current version of the production
software (4.3.4).

I'm being asked to recommend a Linux platform for a MySQL/Apache/PHP
server. I see no reason that I as a consultant cannot build, for a
commercial client, a Fedora/MySQL 4/PHP 4 machine.

Am I missing something? (Besides most of my brain cells....)

ciao!

leam