Re: Fedora stability

Hi Krikket,

 I know I am wandering off topic here, but I am interested in founded
opinions on the subject, ie founded criticism on SUSE. Fact of the matter
is I am currently running a server in Germany that came preinstalled with
SUSE 9.0, and must say it is quite managable. Problems updating the box? No
way. Yast manages that quite well, and you can always go back to plain old
ftp and rpm.

 I am not that fond of integrated configuration tools because they tend to
have a mind of their own (linuxconf being a prime example of this), so I
don't use yast for configuration tasks, but neither do I use the integrated
configuration tools that Red Hat and Fedora are currently developing (apart
from ntsysv and kudzu that is).

 It's just that for years I've been working with Red Hat, so I am used to
that, which makes managing it easy. But all in all I don't believe there is
that much difference between the distro's if you know your way around
(them).

> Don't switch to SuSE.  Trust me on this one.  Baaad juju.

 What does that mean, bad juju? Why is SUSE bad juju?

> If you needs are met 100% by what's available on the distro CDs, then SuSE
> could work for you.  But adding anything else?  Damn near impossible. There
> are some things I *couldn't* get installed under SuSE, that were a breeze
> with Fedora.  I'm not the only one wih those problems either.

 Could you give us some examples of specific things that you were not able
to install?

> On the positive side, there are more GUI controls for things.  So if
> that's what you're looking for, then maybe it's for you.

 Another aspect is that SUSE is more devoted to KDE than Red Hat, which is
the desktop manager that I prefer to use. Why for example can't I shut down
my desktop machine from the KDE menu directly (at least not when I also
have Gnome installed)?

> Also you can *forget* right now about editing files by hand and expecting
> them to stay that way, and work correctly.  The SuSE likes to rewrite stuff
> on you without warning.

 Didn't happen to me yet, but I'll heed your warning. But then I don't use
yast for anything but online updates and installation of packages.

> In short, the problems I had with SuSE 9.0 were great enough that I
> abandoned it, even though I paid the $80 for the Professional version.

 Once again, what specifically were these problems? I don't have a lot of
experience with SUSE, so maybe I just didn't bump into them yet.

Bye,
Leonard.