Re: Fedora stability

I updated to RC1 from RH9.0 and have had no real issues. The only issue I have had has been with my sound card. I can't listen to Radiostorm.com right now :-(. Other than that no other problems. This is on a Compaq Presario Desktop System with a Celeron 1.2 Ghz. If you have been using an NTFS driver you will have to upgrade that guy everytime you upgrade your kernel because RH doesn't install it.

Wade

Karl Hakmiller wrote:
I, too, have been exploring alternatives since Rh's announcement. I had been using Mandrake before I switched to RH about a year ago (first 8.2 and then 9.0 - which I'm now using). I've been very pleased with RH from the start and kept current with all the updates in kernel and apps as they came along. A piece of cake to maintain.

As a trial I ordered the Debian CDs (Woody, not Sarge) and gave the installation a try. Major pains followed. After the third attempt to install Debian (not as a dual-boot but all by itself on a Pentium II 300 MHz
80 Gig Dell machine I'd been running the RH on), I finally gave up after messy failures. I reinstalled the RH 9.0 from original CDs, updated everything with apt-get and was back in operation in just over an hour.

It's possible that I received bad CDs from the online source for my Debian
OS and I may yet give it another try with isos I download myself but I did
notice this difference between the RH and Debian installs: My one semi-correct install of Debian was incomplete in that the Network did not install (I could not get the system to recognize the NIC) and in RH that was never a problem).

I've read the RH docs on installing Fedora and with this history of Debian problems, I'd sure appreciate any "heads-up" warnings that are not mentioned in those docs from those on this list who have installed Fedora from the isos.

Thanks in advance.

Karl L