Re: MySQL 4 or Higher

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:45:25 +0000, you wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 10:19, WipeOut wrote:
>> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>> >Other options include:
>> >  a) getting the people whose projects don't use a GPL compatible
>> >license to change the license into a GPL compatible one
>> This would not be easy..
>
>Disregarding this option without even trying makes it harder!

In most open source projects it is not feasible.  Various people have
contributed code under the understanding that it will be used under
the existing license.  Attempting to contact everyone who has
contributed to a popular project like PHP is likely impossible, and at
least one is unlikely to be willing to accept a different license.

>Why do you insist that it is a MySQL licensing problem? I suspect it is
>more a problem of someone being lazy. PHP's faq says:

It is a MySQL licensing problem because MySQL changed the license.
They had to know this would cause a problem because they went to a
more restrictive license (LGPL -> GPL).

Presumably this was done to force more people/companies to pay for the
commercial version of MySQL instead of using the free version, but the
net result is that a lot of free software projects can no longer use
MySQL.

>I particularly like the part:
>
><<Unix users, at least the ones who know what they are doing, tend to
>always build PHP against their system's libmyqlclient library simply by
>doing --with-mysql=/usr when building PHP.>>

Yes, in the past with MySQL 3.

However the ones who *really* pay attention won't do it with MySQL 4
because it violates the MySQL license.