Re: Digital Cameras?

Some questions have been put forward with respect to using digital
cameras with Fedora.

First and foremost if you expect to do much in the way of photo
transfers do get a card reader.   Apacer makes a nice unit that mounts
in a floppy disk space.   I highly recommend such an internal reader and
have successfully used other brands.   There are a couple of issues.
First is that your camera batteries may not last long enough to transfer
the contents of a large card.   This may or may not be a problem
depending on what accessories you have for the camera.   As to the
internally mounted readers I Just find them much more convenient than
external units, they stay put and don't get lost.   In any even at this
point I can verify that at least two multi function card readers do work
with Fedora.

If you do decide to hook you camera directly to the USB port do
configure it to behave as a mass storage device.   This will allow you
to transfer files with the normal file transfer methods.    If you
camera is supported via gphoto/gkam or another package of programs you
may be able to use PTP mode.   Overall I've found that it is just as
easy and quick to mount the camera as a mass storage device and handle
the files as files.    Build yourself a few scripts and you can automate
a surprising amount of the effort.    By the way I have not attempted to
connect any of my cameras via USB since switching to Fedora, to many
negatives stick with readers.

While it does seem to be to late in this case, I highly recommend that
people purchase camera supporting compact flash.  Not only is this the
most economical approach it provides the most flexibility of any
solution out there at the moment.    I do wonder why you would want to
go the SD route as it looses on capacity and expense considerations.
Further is you decide to purchase more professional cameras they almost
universally use compact flash.

One note worth considering is that the Apace reader mentioned above does
seem to be a bit slow reading the compact flash card.   At least in the
case of my 1 gig card transferring large tiff files from a D100.   On
the other hand none of these medias are extremely fast so maybe things
are fine.

Just a few comments that I hope are helpful.   Do realize that there are
some limitations to photo editing under linux.   Ideally you want to
handle raw files but there is little support for that outside of Windows
and MacOS.    Do look around though for plugins and utilities.

Thanks
Dave