Re: Digital Cameras?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 08:56:49PM -0700, Rob Park wrote:
> Hey everybody.
>
> I'm looking to buy a digital camera, but I want to make sure I can get
> one that is compatible with linux (specifically, it'd be nice if fedora
> had good support for it).
>
> Basically I'm looking at getting a camera that uses the Secure Digital
> (SD) cards, and a separate SD card reader. I hear SanDisk is a good
> brand for SD card readers (they show up as USB mass storage and work
> nicely, from what I hear).
>
> Is there anything I should watch out for? Any brands to avoid?
>
> Basically, I just want one that I can use with a minimum of hassle.

Most should work fine. Those that aren't supported directly by gphoto2
can likely have their memory stick mounted in a flash card reader no
problem. One thing to watch for is that many of the newer models are
making their own proprietary RAW formats with decoders that only run on
the other platform(s). I am salivating over the new Pentax ist D but
the RAW format problem is there with this one.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx