From: fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Krikket
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 8:27 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FTP, Win-NT, and xFTP

So there's a site out there I want to snarf a lot of material from.  Let's
call it foobaz.net.  (That's actually my domain, but for the purposes of
this discussion, it's good enough.)

While I was running Suse, I found that gftp just didn't work with that
site for some reason, but xftp did.  So I used xftp.  But now I'm running
Fedora, and xftp doesn't come with the distro, and I don't see it in the
apt or yum repositories.

When I ftp to the site, the system hangs when I attempt to do a "ls".
This *only* happens (and it happens all the time) when I attempt to use
Fedora gftp or even go to a shell prompt and run "ftp foobaz.net".

What I see is:
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Password:
230-Backup Copies for Licenced Use Only!
230 Anonymous user logged in.
Remote system type is Windows_NT.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,101,5,163).

And then it hangs.  If I let it sit long enough, it also disconnects.

When I attempt to connect from a W2K machine, it can get through okay.  It
also worked with xFTP.

So I decided to try installinf xftp on my box.  Following the install
directions, I first ran xmkmf, which ran without a problem.  But then
following it with the "make" command produces problems.  They are:
krikket@galactica:~/llnlxftp2.1/sources$ make
gcc -m32 -O2  -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
-I/usr/X11R6/include    -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L
-D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                             -D_BSD_SOURCE
-D_SVID_SOURCE                                -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO
-c -o abort.o abort.c
gcc -m32 -O2  -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
-I/usr/X11R6/include    -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L
-D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                             -D_BSD_SOURCE
-D_SVID_SOURCE                                -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO
-c -o aconnect.o aconnect.c
In file included from aconnect.c:61:
str.h:62:14: macro "strchr" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given
In file included from aconnect.c:61:
str.h:62: warning: built-in function `strchr' declared as non-function
make: *** [aconnect.o] Error 1
krikket@galactica:~/llnlxftp2.1/sources$

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

(Unfortunately, it's not really an option to d/l everything to the w2k
machine, and then to the fedora box...  Just because I can test things on
a computer at work doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it for more than a
short test...)

Thanks in advance!

Krikket