Re: [Announce] Libmcrypt and mcrypt rpm's for Fedora 1 and Red Hat 9

Hello Mauri,

> >  I feel it would be nice if these RPM's and libmhash would be included in
> > the core distribution, so PHP can be built with support for libmcrypt and
> > libmhash, as fe SUSE already does.

> There is a nice tool called Checkinstall that can be used to build rpm, apt
> or Slackware whatever from almost anything that installs via make install.

 I'll have a look at it.

> More detailed instructions for compiling PHP-modules without compiling
> the full PHP can be found from a file named
> "README.SELF-CONTAINED-EXTENSIONS" inside the source distribution of
> PHP.

 Right. Thanks for that pointer.

> Sometimes it pays to read the documentation but I agree, there should be
> "official" PHP-modules for mcrypt and mhash and "official" mcrypt-package.

 Reading docs is fine, but sometimes it's just nice to get to something and
have some ad hoc answers spoon fed to you :-) .

 By the way, do you have any idea where the libmcrypt-idea tarball that is
included in the SUSE srpm comes from? It is not available via
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcrypt . Not sure if SUSE got it from there
originally, and whether it was removed for some reason...

 Based on comments from Michael Schwendt I made some fixes to the rpm's at
http://www.ottolander.nl/opensource/mcrypt/mcrypt.html , most notably I
added a %defattr so the files are now owned by root after installation ;).

Bye,
Leonard.