Re: Multiple fedora instances

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2003 15:12, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 ckotting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > I'm a relative newbie, but here's what I did that seemed to
> > > work thus far (using two IDE drives):
> > >
> > > Start with two hard drives installed as master/slave:
> > >  - Install FC1 normally, but:
> > >      adjust the partitioning so nothing is on the slave
> > > (this
> > >      should be hdb and I'll assume it is for the rest of the
> > >      discussion) but free space.
> > >  - Remove the master (hda) and install the previous slave
> > > (hdb)
> > >    as master.  Reboot and adjust the CMOS settings.
> > >  - Install FC1 (here you could exclude the bootloader unless
> > >    you think you might want to swap hdb and hdb at some
> > > point)
> > >  - Renstall the two HDs as master/slave. Reboot and adjust
> > > the
> > >    CMOS settings again.
> > >     The initial master is back to being master, the initial
> > >     slave is back to being slave.  (Don't forget the change
> > > the
> > >     jumper on hdb!)
> > >  - Reboot and edit grub.conf to recognize the installation
> > > on
> > >    the 2nd drive (which should be /dev/hdb)
> > >
> > > If you want the two installations to be able ot read and
> > > write to each other, it's a simple bit of editing
> > > /etc/fstab.
> > >
> > > There's probably a better/easier way, but thus far, this
> > > seems to be working.
> >
> > Just for the record, you are making this waaaaay too hard. Simply
> > tell disk druid to install to either hda OR hdb. It can all be
> > done from anaconda. Once the install modify the grub.conf to boot
> > from either disk and all will be well. The days of having to swap
> > disks to get an install where you want it are long gone. Of course
> > you can do it that way if you wish but it is not necessary.
>
>   When I installed fedora at home I had RedHat 9 and ASPLinux 9 installed
> on the same disk. The only problem I had was with /etc/fstab entries. I don't
> remember what exactly the problem was, but it had something to do with the
> 'LABEL's in /etc/fstab. It can be solved in 2 ways:
>
> 1. boot in rescue mode and get a console.
> 2.1. e2label all partitions differently and edit /etc/fstab accordingly
>   | e2label /dev/hda1 'redhat/boot'
>   | e2label /dev/hda5 'redhat/'
> if these are redhat's partitions
>   | e2label /dev/hda2 'fedora/boot'
>   | e2label /dev/hda2 'fedora/'
> if these are the new fedora partitions. This way you can still use 'LABEL's.
> 2.2. edit /etc/fstab for all installations to refer directly the partition, and
> do not use labels at all...
>   Hope this helps...

Last time I did this anaconda knew how to label the partitions. What I have seen
is the labels on the 1st installation are /, /boot, /usr etc. and on the 2nd
installation they look something like /1, /boot1, /usr1, etc. Granted the names
look stupid but it appears to work and i do not know what else they could be
called by something that is doing the labeling automatically.

I do not know what ASPLinux 9 is but if it is like greenshoe etc. the behavior
should be the same.

HTH,

......Tom